Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pot Calling the Kettle Black


One thing I loved about being in Guatemala was the fact that I didn't have Internet on my phone & could only send a few texts while there. Once, this topic came up & we laughed about it saying that the world has somehow managed to keep spinning even though we didn't know what every single person was doing that day. Heaven forbid I couldn’t see that Sally Mae from high school tweeted what she had for lunch or what color Susie Q painted her toes that day and instagrammed. If something dramatic did happen, we didn't know about it & we were just fine. Don't get me wrong I love the Internet & I still use it, but I'm trying to be more conscious of when/where & how often I look at my phone. My pet peeve is when I see a group of people all on their phones, not giving each other the time of day. I feel like we don't even know how to converse any more.
Like the subject says, I'm the pot calling the kettle black because I do this too. It is a lot easier to see other's faults rather than your own. I feel like a little kid sometimes when I'm with people that are always looking at their phones because I want to be like, "Mommy look at me, look at me! Pay attention to me-not your phone!" People seem to be surprised at how nice it is to enjoy each others presence without any distractions like our phones or computers. We were made to be relational people, but we make ourselves miserable by getting wrapped up in petty things & other people's lives. So please if you see me doing this, take my phone & chunk it! & don't be offended if I do the same to you too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment