Saturday, July 21, 2012

Paradise


Well, I caved. I've always thought about starting a blog, but always said "I have nothing to write about" or "no one cares what I have to say." But frankly, I don't care who reads what I write or if anyone does at all. Recently I've just had some thoughts I'd like to write out & figured this would be a good outlet.

My tipping point was when I heard about the shooting in Colorado. I went to Guatemala last week for several days (which I will write about later) but one night I volunteered to share a devotion to a local village church.

The jist of what I said was based on a sign in the room where I was staying. It said "Welcome to Paradise" & had palm trees decorating it. While most people think a remote island with crystal clear water & white sandy beaches is paradise, I told the church that to me, "where I am right now is paradise-a place where we all love each other and are worshipping the same God,though in different languages." I told them that this was a glimpse of the real paradise that we will be in one day.

About a week later, I was at the beach with my family when we heard about the Colorado shooting. It hurts my heart knowing there is such evil in the world & that someone could do something so cruel. The people that went into that theatre just went to enjoy a movie, not knowing they wouldn't walk out. It was another reminder, though, that this is not my real home & there is absolutely no where I can go to escape death. Like it or not, we will all die eventually. It could be later today or in 80 years.

I'm not trying to be morbid, it's just a reality that many are afraid of. Growing up, that thought scared me too. But Praise the Lord, my soul is in now the hands of my Savior & I will never really die. I get to spend eternity in the Paradise he has prepared for me! If only I lived in such a way that reflected this.

On the way to the beach my mom and sister and I were talking about this subject. Again, I wasn't trying to be morbid at all, but I told them not to be too sad when I die, because I definitely won't be sad at that moment. I'm not saying death is a happy thing & I hate that people on earth have to miss their loved ones & long to have their presence back. I'm just saying that if a loved one of mine dies I pray that I will realize they are not missing earth at all, though I am missing them. So when I die, (not if, but when) I hope everyone will wear bright colors & have a party at my funeral, because I will be celebrating with my Savior & anxiously waiting for YOU to get there & party with me!!

I've always been fascinated with the topic of eternity & these are some of my favorite quotes/verses about it...

*Time is not running out. With each passing minute, each passing year there's this deepening awareness that I'm filling, gaining time. We stand on the brink of eternity. -One Thousand Gifts


*Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God,for he has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:16

*"No guilt in life NO FEAR IN DEATH this is the power if Christ in me. From a life's first cry to final breath Jesus commands my destiny." -In Christ Alone lyrics

*"Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself." Philippians 3 MSG & ESV mixed




No comments:

Post a Comment